Nurturing Good Children Now
Ten Basic Skills to Protect and Strengthen Your Child’s Core Self
|Available at Amazon.com
and Barnes and Noble
This book is aimed at parents with younger children, from three to about ten in which my goal is to build the foundations of strong character in younger kids. Featured on The Today Show it has been used as a parenting text across the country, and has been translated into several languages – because the questions are on parents’ minds everywhere — how can we help kids stay safe, be respectful and reach their full potential? Nurturing Good Children Now explains how to raise children from early on who have a deep sense of values and enthusiastic spirit.
These are the ten essential traits I focus on — that young children need to thrive in today’s world are they mature:
- Mood mastery – how to teach kids to regulate and sooth themselves.
- Expressiveness – how to help young children talk about what matters to them.
- Peer smarts - how to help your child make good friends and avoid destructive, hurtful ones
- Respect – how to help kids listen to responsible adults.
- Focus – how to get kids to slow down and pay attention when so much else is going on.
- Body comfort – how to help kids like how they look when the culture teaches them not to.
- Team intelligence – how to help kids understand and work well within groups of other kids
- Passion – how to help kids keep their natural love of learning alive and unselfconscious
- Gratitude – how to help kids develop healthy gratitude toward you and what they have in life
By offering a combination of social commentary, the latest research on child development and practical advice, I believe we can nurture good children now and, for a better future, we must begin early.
“Through superb examples, powerful insight, and wise advice, Dr. Ron Taffel abundantly shares the keys to nurturing and leading our children today so they can become the loving, confident, healthy adults we all desire in the future. A truly powerful guide for parents.”
— Dr. Stephen R. Covey, author of The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People and The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Parents
“Dr. Ron Taffel is my favorite expert on getting through to kids. When it comes to wisdom and practical advice, he’s a national treasure.”
— Harriet Lerner, Ph.D., author of The Dance of Anger and The Mother Dance
“Parents who work at teaching the ten skills outlined here will find that they are also teaching basic values. This combination of usable skills and understood values creates kids that are both good and happy.“
— Linda and Richard Eyre, authors of Teaching Your Children Values